Prep time Inactive:1 hour and 10 minutes. Active: 20 minutes
3 cups Self-rising Buttermilk Cornbread Mix
2 1/2 cups of Buttermilk
1/2 Onion, diced finely
3 Tablespoons Bacon Grease
1 Recipe Cornbread
1 1/2 Onions, Finely diced
1 Stick Butter
4 Slices White Bread, put in water and moisten
2 Tablespoons Sage
2 Tablespoons Poultry Seasoning
2 to 4 Cups Chicken or Turkey Broth
Salt and Pepper to taste
1) Spray pan with non-stick cooking spray. Put iron skillet with the bacon grease in it into 4 25 degree oven until grease is hot.
2) Mix Cornbread Mix, Buttermilk, onions and egg together. Take pan out of oven and add 2
tablespoons of the bacon drippings to the mix.
3) Pour hot pan, it should sizzle. Bake at 425 degrees for a half hour or until golden brown.
1) In a large pot put the 1 and 1/2 cups onions and two sticks of butter in the pan and turn t he hot cornbread into pot. Cut up the corn bread and mix in the sage and poultry seasoning. This can sit overnight.
2) Crumble the cornbread very fine. Mix the three eggs, broth, bread, salt and pepper. When
you add the broth remember that you put this to your taste of how moist you like your
dressing? If you are using this for stuffing make it dry enough so it stays in the
3) Put in a buttered dish and put in a 350 degree oven on the middle rack for 40 minutes,
until light brown on top. I put it in my pumpkin pot but you can put in a 9 x 13 pan.